How They Work
Boomerang groups are a great way to not just meet people but to get to really know them. Combined with this is the chance to expand your spiritual journey in dialogue with others who have the same desire to grow. So it is the ideal situation to address real spirituality (which, at Nexus, is our attempt to become fully human – in line with the way God created us). We keep the groups to between 6 and 12 people and we meet weekly at someone’s home. This winter we are offering four types of groups:
1. Dinner and Podcast Evenings
MAJOR CHANGE – THIS EVENING WILL NOW TAKE PLACE AT 243 SOUTHWOOD DR., KITCHENER, N2E2B2 (Murray and Jane’s place)
*NEW DATES*Dates – Wed., Feb.19, Mar. 4, 11
Time – starts at 6:30 p.m. ends at approx.. 8:30-9:00 p.m.
LOCATION –SEE ABOVE FOR CHANGE- questions??? see the Nexus Weekly or email Murray at email@example.com or speak to Murray or Susan on Sunday at Nexus
Format – there is no sign-up just “show-up”. Do one or two or all three evenings. Supper will start at 6:30. All you have to do is bring a dessert or salad (main course and drinks provided) and listen to the podcast before you come. Podcasts will be posted in The Weekly and on the website. The evening will end between 8:30 and 9:00 p.m.
The discussion will be guided by those who show up each evening. Come with questions and thoughts to share.
- The first podcast will be Feb. 19 – Deconstruct Without Leaving the Church: https://www.nomadpodcast.co.uk/nomad-132-brian-zahnd-deconstruct-without-quitting-church/
- The second podcast will be Mar. 4 – This is Why You Don’t Succeed – Simon Sinek on The Millennial Generation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNgQOHwsIbg
- The third podcast will be Mar. 11 (originally scheduled for Feb. 26 but cancelled due to weather) – The Devil For Doubters and Disenchanted: https://www.nomadpodcast.co.uk/nomad-119-richard-beck-the-devil-for-doubters-and-the-disenchanted/
2. AFTER YOU BELIEVE (OR MAYBE EVEN BEFORE☺)
Group 1 CANCELLED -starts Thurs. Feb. 13 click here to sign-up
Group 2 starts Mon. Feb. 10 click here to sign-up https://nexus.churchcenter.com/registrations/events/361639
THERE ARE STILL A FEW SPOTS LEFT AND THIS IS A GROUP
YOU CAN START AT ANY POINT AS EACH EVENING IS A STAND ALONE TOPIC
Time – 7:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Duration – approx. 8 weeks
Locations – 243 Southwood Dr. Kitchener
Leader for both groups – Murray Baker
Groups limited to a maximum of 12 people
Many of us have already decided “we believe” while some of us may still be hesitant to claim belief. In either case you are on a “spiritual journey” with no idea where it will lead or end.
Our daily lives require so much of us. It is hard to pursue any journey of faith as life is just so demanding. We spend much of our lives reacting, adjusting, surviving – we just can’t seem to move on in our faith.
It is frustrating when our spiritual journeys just seem to “stall out”. We know we believe or continue to be intrigued by belief but we just can’t seem to “get at it”.
This group will give you a prod to move on and consider where your journey may need to go. We all wish we could just arrive (and get it over with☺). But journeys of faith are actually pretty slow and require lots of resolve.
This group will help you consider where it is you may need to grow – none of us are the same, none of us have identical journeys but there is always some overlap between our journeys that, when shared and discussed, can help get us moving.
We will be using Richard Rohr’s series of short videos (probably two per evening) to prompt discussion. The groups response and questions to these short videos will drive the evening.
I believe that you won’t be able to get through an evening without saying, “Yah, I needed to hear that.”
3. RETREAT IN DAILY LIFE – Personal Spiritual Mentoring with Susan Murphy
STILL A FEW SPACES LEFT
6 weeks: Mar. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, Apr. 5
All individual sessions will be arranged between you and Susan
This group can take as many as sign up.
Many of us do not have the luxury of being able to take any extended time away from our busy lives for some days of retreat and spiritual renewal. However, by participating in a Retreat in Daily Life, you commit to spending just 30 minutes a day over the course of 5 weeks, in which you can experience the same deepening of your spirit and your connection to God!
As part of this group, you would be committing to:
- Attending an afternoon for the opening session as below.
- Spending 30 minutes a day for 5 weeks in prayer and contemplation on the scriptures that are provided.
- Meeting at a pre-arranged time once a week one-on-one with Susan Murphy who is a trained spiritual director for a 30-45 min session of spiritual direction.
- Attending the final evening for the closing session as below.
There is a nominal fee and the time commitment is outlined above. The goal is to learn to engage with the Scriptures in a meaningful and prayerful way and to deepen one’s connection and relationship with God. You will also get a chance to experience the value of spiritual mentoring.
Opening Session: Sunday, March 1st, 12 noon to 2 p.m.(lunch provided) -location to be provided when you sign-up
Closing Session: Thurs. April 9th, 7:00-9:30pm – location to be provided when you sign-up
For any further details or questions, please contact Susan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. PODCAST THEOLOGY – THIS GROUP IS NOW CLOSED – SORRY https://nexus.churchcenter.com/registrations/events/361652
Tuesday evenings, 7:30–9:00pm
Duration – 8-10 weeks (group will decide)
243 Southwood Dr., Kitchener,
Starts Jan. 28
Each week the group will decide on a podcast to listen to ahead of the meeting and come prepared to discuss it. A question sheet will be sent out before the meeting to help you prepare. This evening is meant to be a discussion with members bringing their thought, challenges, and disagreements that were prompted by the podcast. The podcasts will reflect a diverse number of topics from many thoughtful people.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT GROUPS
If you have any questions please contact Murray at email@example.com
Sign-up can be done:
- On Sundays at the table in the foyer
- Online by clicking the address beside each group
- By contacting Murray at the email above